The history of the Conventual Sisters of St Dominic begins with the first Dominican Nuns in Ireland in the 13th century, through the harsh persecutions of the Isle of Saints and Scholars, until the call of Oceania brought these good Sisters to Western Australian shores in 1899, and then to the Wagga Wagga diocese in 1988. The Conventual Sisters of St Dominic were officially erected as an Institute of Diocesan Right in 1993.
St. Dominic founded his first community of nuns in 1206 and even at this stage, these Religious women carried out within their enclosure the apostolate of teaching the Faith.
Monasteries of Dominican nuns grew steadily over the next three hundred years. There were almost certainly monasteries of nuns in Ireland soon after 1224, when the Dominican friars were established there.
|Mother Gabriel Gill|
|Bishop of Wagga Wagga|
In 1988, three sisters left Western Australia to trial a new community in the Diocese of Wagga Wagga. They did this in the belief that God was calling them to return to a more traditional form of Dominican religious life.
|Beginning Anew - the Founding Sisters|
Type of Community
|In 1993, the founding sisters, Sr Mary Augustine O.P. and Sr Mary Thomas O.P..,|
make their vows in the newly-erected community.
This is not a 'new' community with a 'new' charism. It has continuity of spirit and tradition with the long history of Dominican women in Ireland and Australia, yet incorporates the vital elements of true renewal and reform desired by the Church in our times.
Sister Mary Thomas O.P. - Rest in Peace
On the 21st July 2019, the Vigil of St Mary Magdalen, Patroness of the Dominican Order, Sister Mary Thomas died peacefully surrounded by her Sisters at the convent in Ganmain. She is buried in the Sisters' section in the Ganmain Cemetery.
Sister was born in Belfast and came to Australia to enter the Dominicans in Western Australia when she was 18 years old. She was professed 66 years, living the past 31 years in Ganmain.
Sister lived the Dominican life with great devotion and distinction for 66 years, dedicating herself to God and to his Church in an unobtrusive but very influential way.
She had great love for the Holy Eucharist and the Divine Office. She can be counted on to go on praying for us –even more effectively – now that she has passed to the next life and knows even more about our many needs.
May she rest in peace.
|Sister Mary Thomas (Short) O.P.|